December 23 , 2020
TIP HOW TO FREEZE KETO COOKIES DOUGH
Keto Shortbread Choco-Cookies
- Calories 124 kcal
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time 12 minutes
- Total Time 22 minutes
- Optional: Vanilla extract
- Butter is far superior to any counterpart alternative when making Shortbread Cookies. Don’t get me wrong You can absolutely use ghee or even coconut oil for a dairy free option, but if you’re able to use butter, it’s going to give you the best flavor and texture.
- Use salted butter or add a couple pinches of salt to the cookie dough. This will balance out the sweet taste
- Butter must be soft but not warm or too soft. This is the best-kept-secret of any shortbread cookie recipe! if your softened butter is too warm, it won’t form those air pockets. That’s why you want to let it soften naturally instead of speeding up the process in the microwave. Take it out of the fridge, cut it up, and wait about 10-15 minutes – that’s the “just right” level of softness for this cookie recipe.
- Using a hand mixer, cream your butter until it’s nice and fluffy. This step is a must, using a hand mixer and always begin at a lower speed, then increase as it starts to incorporate. This is to create little pockets of air, and the air doesn’t conduct heat as well, so the butter in the cookies melts more slowly during baking and that means cookies end up with a more delicate crumb texture.
- Beat in the cookie mix. If you want to add vanilla extract, this is the perfect time, beat vanilla in the butter before gradually (around half cup of mix at a time). Mixture should be crumbly.
- When beating your ingredients, be sure to take your spatula and scrape the sides of the bowl back into the batter while you’re creaming the butter, and again after adding the cookie mix. If you skip this, mix will end up with some parts being more dense than others.
- Form cookies using a cookie scoop, scoop out the shortbread cookie dough and place onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Flatten each dough ball to about 1/3″ thick; make sure they are all about the same size and thickness to cook well. Don’t worry about the broken edges, these are the classic shortbread look!
- Bake the Keto shortbread cookies until golden, and Be patient! let cool completely before removing from the pan.
- That’s it. That’s all you need to do to make the best Keto shortbread cookies you’ve ever had! You won’t believe that they’re sugar free, gluten-free, and so low carb when you take your first bite!
- 2 1/2 cups Lili’s Gourmix Chocolate Chip cookie mix
- 6 tbsp Butter (softened; can use coconut oil for dairy-free, but flavor and texture will be different)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (177 degrees C). Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a hand mixer or stand mixer to beat together the butter.
- Beat in the vanilla extract (optional). Beat in the Cookie mix, 1/2 cup (64 g) at a time. The dough will be dense and a little crumbly, but should stick when pressed together.
- Scoop rounded tablespoonfuls of the dough onto the prepared cookie sheet. Flatten each cookie to about 1/3 in (.8 cm) thick by placing a piece of parchment paper on top of each cookie and press with a rolling pin or dessert plate (You can make them thicker or thinner to your liking. Keep in mind they will not spread or thin out during baking, so make them as thin as you want them when done)
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until the edges are golden. Allow to cool completely in the pan before handling (cookies will harden as they cool).